.

Videos

The National Debt Clock.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Jack "accountancy does not appear to be my strongest suit” Straw

Jack Straw is hard at it, claiming back monies he is not entitled to....Jack Straw claimed the full cost of the council tax on his Blackburn constituency home even though he had only been paying 50 per cent of the bill.

In May 2008 the High Court ruled that MPs’ expenses must be published. Two months later the Justice Secretary returned the difference, covering four years’ payments, to the Commons authorities with a hand-written note. “I have been checking my claims since 04 and I have realised that my claims for council tax have been incorrect,” he wrote. Blaming an oversight of his “zero occupancy discount” he added: “I’m afraid that the reality of life over the last few years is that I’ve often had to complete the claims in marginal time and without recourse to all the records.”

He included a cheque for £1,395.88 and later sent a further cheque for £136.27 after realising that he had worked the figures out incorrectly. “Sorry about that too — accountancy does not appear to be my strongest suit,”

You try claiming back your council tax or making a false claim and I am sure the local courts will be not be impressed, yet Straw can get away with it. 
Technorati Tags: 
.

2 people have spoken:

Oldrightie said...

"accountancy does not appear to be my strongest suit,”

On the contrary, Jack, I would say the maximising of these expense claims has been exemplary by all concerned.

Fidothedog said...

Aye true, he loves our money does Jack.